Update on '78 Midget ressurection-long

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Update on '78 Midget ressurection-long
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:06:08 -0700
Well, it's only been five hours of work, but I almost have the
swivel/king pin removed from the spare a-arm.
As you all may remember, one of my a-arms was cracked and poorly welded,
and, strangly enough, here was a a-arm assembly in the trunk. Since the
swivel pin has been uncooperative in coming loose from the fulcrum pin,
it has been introduced to Mr.Drill and his friends, chisel and sledge.
I imagine the swivel pin will give up tomorrow.
I have decided to install lower springs and polyurathane bushings while
I'm at it, plus new boots for the steering rack. I have yet to attack
the car, hopefully I will not have to do anything beyond the a-arm, but
I'm pessimistic about it.
I also had a problem of the rotor hitting the distributor cap. I
was paranoid that this was a worn distributor, but the new rotor and
cap work fine. I think what might have happened was, with the previous
owner, the cap came loose and hit the spinning rotor. That, or the guy
used a die grinder to clean the contacts.
I have replaced all the ignition parts, and used Autolite Platinum
AP65-plugs. The engine runs great, but I can't drive it as the a-arm
is too dangerous :o(. I use Autolite Platinums in my '66 Galaxie daily
driver, they're the only plugs that can survive, we'll see how they
do in the Midget. Champion and Bosch die quick in the Galaxie, NGK does
well- but hard to find.
The carb had a bodged cheap choke cable attached to it, which is removed
now. I'm thinking that I might remove the whole choke assembly, as it
doesn't seem nessessary in Florida's hot climate. I removed the whole
choke from my Galaxie (always stuck, even after rebuild) with no ill
effects.
Any thoughts on this?
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"