Re: Exhaust Port Air Injection (70 Midget)

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Port Air Injection (70 Midget)
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 21:59:01 +0100
Mark Endicott wrote:

> I just bought a 70 Midget
> Thinking that it took air a fuel to cause this problem I
> removed the drive belt from the air pump and all now seems well.  In
> fact it runs so good now that I can't think of a reason to reconnect the
> silly thing.  I have no inspection problems, yet! Am I causing any
> problems elsewhere by just removing the whole system and pluging the
> holes in the manifold and pluging the leftover vacuum line?

The air pump can go bad on the shelf. The bearings are exposed within
the pump and it will rust-freeze sitting in the open. Drench the innards
in WD-40 and store in a sealed bag. *Do Not* oil them while in use as
the road dust mixes with the oil and grinds the little thing to peices.

In fact, clean everything up really well and mark all the peices. Store
the wrapped pump and other bits in a sealed box. Don't throw it away. It
is getting real expensive to retrofit and somebody, some day, will want
to do that.

> While on the subject, it also has the crankcase vent that has a control
> valve with a long hose that connects to an oil separator mounted n the
> front of the engine.  Could someone explain it's purpose and need, or
> should it go too?

It's called a 'Gulp Valve' (aka PCV valve) and isn't a performance
hindurance in any way. Make sure it is functioning and leave it alone.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6