Exhaust Port Air Injection (70 Midget)

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Exhaust Port Air Injection (70 Midget)
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 21:41:21 -0500
I just bought a 70 Midget that has the early version of the smog control
system that uses the air pump that apparently injects "fresh" air into
the exhaust ports.  The car had a rather serious backfire problem on
deceleration.  Thinking that it took air a fuel to cause this problem I
removed the drive belt from the air pump and all now seems well.  In
fact it runs so good now that I can't think of a reason to reconnect the
silly thing.  I have no inspection problems, yet! Am I causing any
problems elsewhere by just removing the whole system and pluging the
holes in the manifold and pluging the leftover vacuum line?

While on the subject, it also has the crankcase vent that has a control
valve with a long hose that connects to an oil separator mounted n the
front of the engine.  Could someone explain it's purpose and need, or
should it go too?

Thanks for any assistance, gas was 25 cents when I had my last LBC.  I'm
a little rusty.

Mark...Nashville
70 Midget
S/V S2-27 Witchcraft