Using LBC's

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Using LBC's
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:31:52 -0500
I have already posted about the great fun that I had using the A the way
Abingdon intended.  I just read Lawrie's post.  Out of about 100 cars
running Sunday, there were our 2 MGA's, one very nice 70 MGB, a Mazda
powered Spit**re, a "Dutton" Lotus Seven clone kit car, Two Europa's and a
couple of newer square Lotus (Loti?).  3 MG's out of 100 cars- that is
pitiful.  The poor turnout cannot be blame on the car's inability to
compete because Barney's A and the B were well into the hunt for trophies.
Four years ago when I went to my first autocross at least 1/4 of the field
consisted of LBC's.  Are people scared that they will break them?  My A is
a high maintenance item but it is very robust.  I don't know of another
manufacturer that can even approach MG's finish rate at LeMans and Sebring
in the Fifties and Sixties.  The cars _would not_ break.

Having said that, I will admit that I am as guilty as the next person.  I
won't drive the A in the rain if I can avoid it.  I store the poor car all
winter.  Most of the use it gets is in nice, easy drives to pick up one of
the kids from some practice or another.  When I get the chance, however, I
am not afraid to go out and blow out the cobwebs.  This group seems to be
fairly active so maybe I am "preaching to the choir" but still...  If you
are bored some weekend go give the local hotshoes a treat by showing them
how it should be done.  You may not be the fasted but I guarantee that
you'll have fun!

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA