Re: everybody's talking, but no one hears a word

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
Subject: Re: everybody's talking, but no one hears a word
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:42:54 EDT
Tom:-

Don't let your experience discourage you.  What you have really
discovered is that MG people, despite what might be said on this list and
the club newsletters ("I came for the cars and stayed for the people"
type things), are really no different than people anywhere.  Some are
friendly, some are overly-friendly, some are cold, some are shy, some are
stupid, some are smart, some are helpful, some don't care, some are
selfish, some are boorish,  some are princes, some are cads, some are
generous, some are talkative, some are quiet, some like young people,
some don't, some you'll like, some you won't (hey, that rhymes!  I'm a
poet and didn't know it), some have a sense of humor, some don't.  On
balance, most people take a little time to get to know you and to find
your interest is genuine, then watch out!  You won't be able to shut them
up!

Unfortunately, most people don't understand this and expect everyone to
be nice all the time.  Witness how quickly many people (including me)
make a judgement on whether they will do business with a company based
upon their experience with one individual out of many thousands of
employees.

Remember, all that these people have in common is their interest in
LBC's, and even the reasons for that interest vary like fingerprints.
Don't expect them all (or even many) to have a noble interest in
including everyone or preserving their hobby for future generations.
Most of them are too busy living their lives and doing this for fun to
take it all that seriously or to mount that kind of effort.

The best thing to do is assume-- assume you are welcome and you will be,
no one will throw you out unless you are a real jerk.  Assume you are no
better or worse for your youth than anybody else, and you will be treated
accordingly.  The young people that have been the most involved in our
club outings and such are the ones that don't wait for a special
invitation or pay attention to those that don't show them respect (I
think the term is "dis them" ;-)).  Relish and seek out the company of
those like the T-type owner that are "good people" and avoid those that
aren't.

Keep the faith, no one will keep it for you.

(BTW, those that "dissed" you with the Texas license plates must have
been Yankee transplants-- oops, maybe I should have waited a couple of
months before I sent that!  ;-))

David Littlefield
Houston, TX