Rear main seal replacement - 80 B

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rear main seal replacement - 80 B
From: Joe Peck <jpeck@ixc-comm.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:34:42 -0500
It looks like I'm going to be pulling the engine in my 80 B and
replacing the rear main seal this weekend.  Does anyone have any tips
or suggestions?

There was a note on the list awhile ago about towing your car a long
distance.  Well, I towed my car about 600 miles on a u-haul tow dolly,
with the front wheels on the dolly and the car in neutral.  Now I've
got a massive rear main seal or front transmission seal leak.  Next
time I'll disconnect the drive shaft like someone suggested. :-(

I suppose I'll need to examine the clutch to make sure oil hasn't
gotten on it and ruined it.  Can oil on the clutch ruin it, or would I
just need to wipe off any oil that might have gotten on it?  The
clutch only has about 5000 miles on it.  I haven't driven the car
since it's been towed.

Cheers,
Joe