RE: Rear main seal replacement - Joe Peck

To: mgs%autox.team.net@aphub.aerojetpd.com
Subject: RE: Rear main seal replacement - Joe Peck
From: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Date: 25 Apr 97 06:52:25 PDT
Joe,

Replacing the rear main seal in one day would be easy, but I would
recommend having at least one helper there for the engine removal and
replacement. Make sure you rent a cherry picker, and an adjustable
load fulcrum is a big help.

Last month, Lawrie Alexander (britcars@juno.com) was nice enough to
let some of us use his shop facilities on a Saturday to replace the
overdrive on a fellow Club member's B.  We started at about 9:00, and
we were done by 3:30.  Of course, we had the use of a hydraulic lift,
a cherry picker, parts washer, etc. We replaced the engine mounts and
clutch at the same time.

This was a great example of MG Club people banding together toward a
common goal.  There were 5 of us actually working on the B, (Lawrie
took advantage of the time to catch up on paperwork, he would
occasionally wander over and check on our progress while sagely
puffing on his pipe).  We estimated that those of us working had a
combined MG experience of over 100 years!  Suffice it to say that we
all worked as a well-oiled team (LBC owners are always well-oiled!).
Plus, we had a great time.

Cheers, PK

Paul D. Kile

kile_paul@aphub.aerojetpd.com