engine/head hardware [Midget/A-Series/1275]

To: MG Mavens <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: engine/head hardware [Midget/A-Series/1275]
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
Date: 25 Apr 1997 16:05:17 -0500
I'm reassembling the 1275 in my '70 Midget and am replacing some
hardware.  The studs for the heater valve are completely buggered.
I'd like to replace them with high-quality bolts from the local
hardware store.  My question is:  Why are studs and nuts used instead
of bolts?  This application holds low torque, and I'd love to use
stainless steel bolts and washers so that next time this needs
removed, these aren't such an ordeal [RUST!].  My guess is the studs
made assembly easier since you could just plop the valve right on top
of the studs instead of aligning bolts.  I'm considering the same
hardware replacement for the thermostat housing.

Advice?  Oh yeah, this is a stock street 1275.

--
Matt Liggett <mliggett@pobox.com>                 Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
<URL:http://pobox.com/~mliggett/>                 Bloomington, IN, USA