Re: engine/head hardware [Midget/A-Series/1275]

To: MG Mavens <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: engine/head hardware [Midget/A-Series/1275]
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
Date: 29 Apr 1997 08:38:43 -0500
Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net> writes:
> Why are studs and nuts used instead of bolts [where things attach to
> the head]?

Answering my own question, I did get ONE response that said it should
be okay to use bolts.  Well, I finally figured out why NOT to use
bolts, and I thought I'd let you all know.  Basically, with a stud, it
is threaded fully into the head and then the nut is tightened on top
of whatever you're holding on.  The big advantage here is that any
pressure that is applied to the threads in the head is evenly
distributed across every thread in the head.  With a bolt, unless you
pick the EXACTLY CORRECT size, you don't have that guarantee.  It may
only be 2/3 into the head by the time you start applying final
tightening torque, pulling up on those threads.  And the last thing
you want to do is overstress threads in your head.

So, please do NOT replace studs in the head with bolts.  I plan to
search for stainless steel studs, and if I cannot find them will
simply use replacements ordered from Moss or somewhere.

Cheers!

--
Matt Liggett <mliggett@pobox.com>
Technical Director, HelpAnswers.com