Diodes???

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Diodes???
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:50:48 +0800
I recall seeing postings in the past about SU fuel pumps of a more recent
manufacture having a diode connected across the contacts to keep them from
arcing and  burning. My '67 MGB GT is currently fitted with one of JCW's
after-market fuel pumps, but I also have rescued junk yard SU fuel pump from
a dear departed MGB which I have always intended to rebuild "someday." It does
not, alas, appear to have the previously mentioned diode, or at least I can't
find one.

Can I go down to my Neighborhood Radio Shack, buy a diode of the appropriate
size, and solder it into the fuel pump's circuit at some appropriate point,
and replicate the functionality of the factory version? I know nothing about
electronics. My NRS salesperson told me that a diode was essentially a one-way
valve which would pass current in one direction, but not the reverse. He did
not
have a clue how this would keep the contact points from burning. Can someone
explain to me, IN VERY SIMPLE TERMS, how this works? What size (rating, or
whatever) diode do I need to buy, and exactly where do I solder it on my fuel
pump's contacts?

Thanks,
Jerry Causey