Re: Oil in Transmission-Midgets

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil in Transmission-Midgets
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 14:25:33 -500
On 27 Apr 97 at 9:19, Aron Travis wrote:

> So this means I can use any oil I want to, right?
> Or, is there hope for a difinitive answer?

The factory speced Motor oil, not gear oil. One theory is that because Hypoid
gear oils are a different beast, and contain sulpher additives, they may not be
compatible with the syncros in BMC trannys. I know I've bought MGB's/Spridgets
that cam with gear oil, and had sluggish syncro/shifting problems that cleared
up when replaced with motor oil. Synthetics are better, and more expen$ive, but
should NOT be used in BMC OD trannys due to their friction clutches.

   ________
  /     _  \    Roger Garnett             (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \   CU Distance Education    | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |\/ ||  _  |  115 Warren Hall          | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| |   ||   | |  Cornell University       |
 \    ||__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-1623           | Safety Fast!