Re: Oil in Transmission-Midgets

To: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>,
Subject: Re: Oil in Transmission-Midgets
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 14:32:46 -0400
Roger Garnett wrote:
> > So this means I can use any oil I want to, right?
> > Or, is there hope for a difinitive answer?
>
> The factory speced Motor oil, not gear oil.

  Careful... the factory speced motor oil for the 72, but
not for the later all syncro boxes (Marina parts).

  The 1500 midgets have these gearboxes, and the spec'ed
oil is 80 weight gear oil on refills, 90 for top ups.

  The original poster had a 72 and a 78, perhaps leading
to why they kept receiving advice to use both types.

--
 /       Trevor Boicey         1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget     /