Midget suspension questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Midget suspension questions
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:01:33 -0700
I feel that the manuals fall a little short on information, so I'll ask
you nuts....
All questions are for a '78 Midget.

I've disassembled most of my front suspension, the left side passed the
usual tests of wiggling the wheel and seeing what is loose. It felt very
good but I still would like some real measurements.

1st- What should the big and small spindle measurements be? Or what
should the clearence be between the ID of the wheel bearings and the OD
of the spindle?

2nd- Even though my swivel axle bushings felt good, what should the
measurements of the OD swivel pin be vs. the ID of the swivel axle
bushings? Or what should the clearence be?

Most of my suspension problems seem to stem from some light accident
damage on the right side. I looks as though all my servicing will be
on the right, so I might just do a new a-arm and swivel pin. If I need
new bushings I will need to tell the machine shop what to ream them to.

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"