installing cylinder head studs

To: mgs%autox.team.net@aphub.aerojetpd.com
Subject: installing cylinder head studs
From: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Date: 28 Apr 97 14:46:06 PDT
Scott:

Take it from someone who made the ultimate mistake.  DO NOT torque
your studs into the block!!!  If you must, give them a slight
snugging, but no more than 5 footpounds.

Several years back I was reassembling my original 1622 engine from my
'62 MGA.  I had everything ready, went ahead and double nutted the
main bearing cap studs and torqued them to about 40 foot pounds.
When I laid the crank in the saddles and went to torque it down, it
wouldn't turn!  I backed all the caps off, pulled the bearing shells
out, it was then that I noticed the hairline cracks leading from the
stud to the bearing surface.

Presto!  I had changed a newly machined block into a boatanchor.

Paul (even gurus have their stupid moments) Kile

Paul D. Kile

kile_paul@aphub.aerojetpd.com

(916) 355-5162
GenCorp Aerojet