FW: Oil in Transmission -MGB's

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: FW: Oil in Transmission -MGB's
From: "john ruse" <hologothic@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 97 17:10:40 UT

----------
From:   Bert Otten
Sent:   29 April 1997 11:39
To:     john ruse
Subject:        Re: Oil in Transmission -MGB's

Bert

Your dead correct with 20/50 in my book.

I've heard that hypoid does clutch linings no good at all. I wouldn't know cos
I've never known anyone to have tried but 20/50 is definately good.

john

hologothic@msn.com

>>> "john ruse" <hologothic@msn.com> 04/28/97 07:15PM >>>
If we're going for the vote here, I'll put my hand up for hypoid 90.

John,

Since you are an expert on trannies, one last (really!!) question on oil in
transmissions.

I just refilled my MGB '66 3 synchro O/D tranny with 20W/50 engine oil. This
is specified in my Haynes manual. However, I know that some people advise to
use Hypoid EP90, but I heard some stories about  EP90 being heavier on the
synchro rings, especially on the kind of alloy used in old transmissions.

What about the O/D? Does it still engage with EP 90 oil?

So my question is what would you advise? 20W/50  or EP 90
Or do I ask a trivial question regarding the above!!

Regards,

Bert Otten
'66 B