Re: master cyclinder

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (Marcus Tooze)
Subject: Re: master cyclinder
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 09:56:46 -0800

>> Hello listers, need help please, on 69 MGC Girling brakes, any little
>> secret on pulling the master cyclinder and rebuilding same. Ordered kit
>> from V.B. & the price seems a little high and when i called local LBC
>> garage he said $108.00 for White Post to resleeve, 90.00 for kit &
>> $$$750.00 $$$ labor to R & R, so with your kind advice please as I cannot
>> afford $900.00. Thanks for all help in advance.
>>

>Now I don't know which master came on the MGC....maybe it was gold plated?
>All you require is a rebuild kit, which should be about $20. I
>recommend TRF (*shiver*) or Pegasus or another reputable parts
>place that can supply GIRLING rebuild kits, not the nasty Australian copies
>that I think VB sells. $750 is bullshit. You can buy 5 brand new masters
>for that.

Real close to gold plated. The master is unique to the C, actually there
are several that are C specific. The next problem was that only about 9000
MGC were produced in the 2 years of production. The North American market
got the oh so fun dual line system and the rest of the known universe got
the much simpler single line system. I'm not sure if the single line master
is interchangable with anything else, but the two versions for the NA
market are MGC specific. When you can find them, the one with integral
resevour is in the mid $300 range and add a couple hundred for the external
version. And that's just the begining of the fun! A couple of boosters that
the rebuild kits run $200 each. White post wants about $900 to rebuild a
pair of them! Trust me, I've been researching this a lot lately.

Lane