Re: Convertible Top vinyl window cleaning

To: schlining.m.w@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Convertible Top vinyl window cleaning
From: dfdarby@juno.com
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 00:45:50 PST
On Sun, 04 May 1997 21:25:18 -0400 Sally Schlining
<schlining.m.w@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>To Steven McGee
>
>For vinyl window cleaning, clearing of haze, minor scratches, Eastwood
>
>sells a product called Novus that is outstanding.  There are 3 levels
>of
>"cleaning"  Step 3 is for heavy scratches and heavy hazing and
>discoloration.  Step 2 is for minor scratches and hazing.  Step 1 is
>the
>finish and polish.  Our B window with Step 2 followed by Step 1 looked
>
>like glass when done.  The stuff works.  After you get the
>discoloration
>and scratches out, just use Step 1 as your cleaner. NO WINDEX EVER!!!!
>
>Sally Schlining
>
>57 MGA Coupe (in resto)
>75 MGB
>65 Corvair Corsa Cvt.

Hello Sally et al.:

Novus is also available from plastic supply houses. We use it at work to
polish acrylic (Plexiglas or Perspex) cases and overlays. It works very
well. A good follow-up cleaner and anti-static agent is Brillianize, a
non-scratch acrylic cleaner that is admittedly difficult to find. Try the same
plastic supply houses (Regal, Cadillac, etc.). You are right about
the Windex; definitely a no-no.

Another product I have found useful for cleaning and polishing out light
scratches is toothpaste. No kidding. The only brand I have used is
Crest, but I have found it to be an effective vinyl and acrylic
polishing agent that can be of significant value when used in a
conscientiously applied program of regular cleaning and maintenance.
While it's not ASME or SAE approved, the American Dental Association gives it
two molars up!

Regards,

David F. Darby
Hercules Wilderness Missouri, USA
1600 MGA coupe (original)
1600 MGA coupe (in resto)
mkII MGA roadster (cavity-free)
1967 MGB-GT (some cavities, but grille teeth OK)