Leaky Headers

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Leaky Headers
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 11:37:40 -0500
Let me slip in here a request for *technical* information.

A friend of mine has a TR4 that he decided needed headers. Now he has a
fine exhaust leak at the center ports between the head and the headers.
What is the collective wisdom on sealing headers? I realize this is
often the curse of the things so any advice appreciated. He is preparing
to reinstall them so what can be done the second time around.

I'm guessing:
1) Intake/Exhaust flange heights the same...
2) One gasket or two?
3) Will gasket sealer help and survive the heat? What brand/type?
4) With gasket sealer, set up time?
5) What is the maximum heat expected? 600 degrees? 1,200? More?

FYI: Headers purchased from VB for '64 TR4. Original cast manifold
cracked.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6