Re: British Car Industry

To: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: British Car Industry
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 18:13:04 -0500
Sorry Rick.  However much you may bemoan the Japanese onslaught, suggesting
that a Norton - or any British bike - was technologically superior to any
Honda is simply wishful thinking.  This battle was fought and lost over 30
years ago - long before the advent of the Honda 750.  As for the N-15
running circles around a 750 Honda, the same actor must have been riding
the Honda. The N-15 would have to catch the Honda first which would be
impossible. Your statements merely perpetuate the myths about British bikes
and continue the old prejudices about Japanese bikes.

I own Nortons and Hondas.  I have restored and ride both.  No contest.  I
like them both - but British motorcycle technology in the sixties was an
oxymoron.  Why did the Honda Civic become the wonderful success it is?
Because it was timely, technologically superior and sold at a very
competitive price.  By comparison, a Mini is an agricultural implement.
Why are the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord two of the top three cars most
popular sold in North America?  We may not like the sinister Eastern
invasion, but as I said earlier, the battle was lost over 30 years ago.

><< I remember an ad I saw on British Television about 1970.  It started with
> voice saying "How one starts a British motorcycle" and showed a man walking
> up to the bike, pulling out the kick starter and, after 8 or 10 tries and
> much manual fiddling, finally getting the thing to start.  The next scene
> had a voice saying "How one starts a Japanese motorcycle" and showed
> someone walking up to the bike, getting on, hitting the starter button and
> riding off.  The conclusion regarding why the British motorcycle industry
> was in steep decline was obvious.
>  >>
>Obviously they used an actor in the commercial, not a real motorcyclist.
>
>If I ever had to kick my 1964 N-15 Norton over 3 times (cold) to get it to
>fire, there was a serious malfunction.  In fact, I have, shortly after tuning
>up the beast, started it with my hand, one quick snap of the kick starter
>lever and VROOM.
>
>The real conclusion is that the Jap bikes were NEVER inovative, always
>immitative and prone to have gross exagerations made about them by unknowing
>and generaly less than honest ad types.
>
> Oh, for what it is worth, the 64 Norton could run rings around the new 750
>Hondas (mid 70's). The terms rings is not a pun, as the Norton could out
>handle the buggers too.
>
>Rick

John McEwen

Edmonton, Alberta
In the Great White North
1946 Chrysler N. Yorker 1962 Corvair Greenbrier         1966 Cadillac Conv.
1949 Austin A40 Devon   1950 Standard Vanguard          1956 Chrysler 300B
1962 Sunbeam Alpine     1966 Austin Cambridge           1956 New Yorker Conv.
1970 MGB Roadster       1957 AJS Model 20               1961 Fury Sonoramic
1972 Ducati 450 T/S  1970 Norton Commando Fastback Mk 2 1963 Honda CB 92R
1982 Kawasaki KZ 1300   1975 Izh Planeta Sport 350      1940 H-D Model UA
1956 NSU Prima          1965 Zweirad Union Hummel    1960 Cushman Road King
1964 Honda Super Hawk   1965 Honda CB 450               1971 Honda 750
1973 Honda CB450        1968 Puch SGS 250               1960 Allstate
Compact
 Many other wierd things intended to separate my child from her inheritance.