Re: British Car Industry

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: British Car Industry
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 15:41:59 -0400 (EDT)
John,
  I think you misunderstood me. I never said the Norton was technologically
superior or advanced vs the Honda.

 What I said was that the ad was misleading. Would you believe an ad that was
turned 180 degrees and showed a Honda rider grinding away on the starter
while the English bike fired on the first kick? Of course not. Why accept the
opposite?

 I also said that the Japanese M/C industry was not inovative, but were
immitative.
And if you will think about it, it's very true. You would be hard pressed to
come up with one really new idea  they have had. 4 cylinder engines? Try MV
Augusta, Indian, etc.  Electric Start? Old as the hills Shaft drive? BMW,
Moto Guzi, et al.

 The point I was trying to make was that, on the surface it would seem that
the Nipponese motorvehicle industry (cars and MC), is based on hype,
imitation and ultimately domination through whatever means are necessary.

  I will not deny that they make good cars and bikes, BUT they are not
inovators.
Check out some of the big Hondas now. They are doing everything in the world
to make them look like Harleys. Even to the point of trying to get them to
sound like "hogs".

 Oh, You're right. To outrun the Hondas we had to catch them first. That
wasn't too hard. Just wait on the first curve,blow by on the exit, then
boogie on.  Been there, done that.

Rick