Re: Polished Water neck...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Polished Water neck...
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@west.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 11:57:56 -0800
Scott:
       The early aluminium spout was used on the US spec MGB from 62-67.
In 68 the car got a smog pump which required a different radiator with
the upper outlet on the Left (drivers side).  The smog pump upper mtg
point was cast into the iron thermo hsg.  If you have an iron outlet
without smog pump bracket I would guess that it had been modified or was
perhaps off a UK spec car.  As for the 6 blade metal fan, it was stock
from Hmm to Hmm.  I can't remember the exact dates, but I know the real
early cars had a 3 blade and the yellow plastic was definitely on the 73
models.  68-70 certainly had the metal fan.  The factory superceded the
metal (small bolt circle) fan to the later plastic fan.  The early fan
(large bolt circle) was also superseded to a plastic fan by the factory.
Both of these plastic fans are on the market, also Moss is selling a
repro of the original metal fan.  I prefer the plastic fans, they seem
to move more air, and don't hurt your fingers so bad if you are stupid
enough to get them close.  Another good thing is that you can bend the
blades out of the way when you are adjusting your fan belt.  Downside, I
think they are a little noisier than the metal.
       When I build an engine I use the late GWP130 water pump, the
73-74 cast iron pump pulley and a plastic fan.  That way I only have to
stock one spare water pump for the fleet.  (hint to those gurus out
there, can you tell that I started out with lots of parted out Austin
Marina s)

Kelvin.