Re: info on '52 MG

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: info on '52 MG
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 13:01:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 11 May 1997, Scott Gardner wrote:

> Time to tap the valuable font of information here on the list again.
> I really don't know anything about any MGs except the 'B', and my mom
> asked me a question today that I promised her I'd pass on to you
> guys.
>    She just got back from a trip to Los Angeles, and one of her old
> high school friends has an MG that's been in storage for a few dozen
> years.  Mom didn't find out the model, but she said it was a 1952,
> and her friend's husband said that it didn't have "big, tall, tires",
> but that the previous year did.  Any idea what model this is, and

If it is a 52, it's a TD.  However, the previous year (51) did not have
"big,tall tires."  The TC model must be the one he was talking about with
the tall tires, and the last year for that model was 49.  The TD was
introduced in 50.

> what it would be worth in original, unrestored
condition?  It
was > just about perfect when it was stored, but I'm sure the years have
> taken their toll.

Worth 5-10,000, depending on condition.  I have seen TD's for less than
5K, but they have been total shambles.

   My mom has always liked my sports cars, and I
> think she may be thinking of buying it, and just writing a check for
> a complete renovation. (Oh, to have my parents' financial

Depending on the starting condition and how extensively she wants it
rennovated, it could get pricey.  Restored cars go for $16-25000, again
depending on the quality of the restoration.

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629