Re: ???Rear Wheel Bearings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ???Rear Wheel Bearings
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 13:04:17 -0700
Tom:
        About the only thing that you can do is jack up the car and try
rotating the wheel by hand.  Feel for roughness.  The brgs are pretty
heavy duty and are not a typical problem.  You might check fluid level
in the diff.  A rumble in the rear could be a diff without fluid
announcing it's departure.
       Once you take off the brake drum, you can slide the axle out very
easily, leaving the bearing carrier as the only thing turning.  By that
point if it is bad it will be evident.  If the bearing is bad you
will need to pull the hub off the axle casing. This is a little tricky
if it is tight.  I dismantled 4 rear axle assemblies over the weekend
and so turned an adapter for my puller to make the job easier.

good luck.   Kelvin.