Pulling gearbox, what else?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pulling gearbox, what else?
From: Steve Gibbons <steve@wyrm.AZTech.Net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 22:58:25 -0700
Princess Di, My '74 B has been complaining when I shift.  Me and Dad-In-Law
(He's the mechanic, I'm the gopher/grunt) have decided to pull/rebuild the
tranny.  Alvie thinks it's "no big deal" but this is the probably the biggest
project that I've personally participated in and I wonder what "gotchas" we
could avoid with good advice from people that have done it before.

I trust Alvie's mechanical abilities implicitely, he had an MGA when he was
"a kid" (My age, 28)  He rebuilt the Weber downdraft with a minimum of head-
scratching and no manual, he..., he..., ('nuf said.)

Anyway, this all came up because I was thinking about taking Di to a shop
for the work, since _I_ thought it would be a "big deal" and didn't want to
have my woman's dad keel over working on a car that she barely tolerates.

So, I made talked to my Mom-In-Law and said "this is what I'm thinking of
doing (going to a shop), I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I really
don't want to kill him either. (and I hope his feelings won't be hurt.)"

To try to make a long story short: She babbled,  His feelings were hurt.
We're going to do it ourselves.

My questions: What else should be done while Di's out of commission?
Any tricks/hints on insertion/removal of various pieces/parts would be
appreciated.

This list has enthused me to do some things on my own.  (I fixed my RHS horn
last week...)  I'd like to be able to do more on my own and would appreciate
suggestions on good books to read or other resources.

Some of you will probably get a laugh at this "young one's" post, but I hope
that you decide I'm worthy and understand where I'm coming from...

--
Steve
'74 MGB (I _really_ want to keep her on the road.)