Re: Painting the garage floor

To: TRIFARI@aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting the garage floor
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 23:15:14 +0100
TRIFARI@aol.com wrote:

> I'm interested in painting my garage floor.   Nice decorator gray.  Something
> that won't make the place look so scuzzy.  I want something that won't cost
> mucho and that is designed for cars--ie paint won;t pull up when hot tire
> sits on it.  Any recommendations?  John Trifari  1955 Healey BN1/1980 MGB

My dad used two part epoxy paint from Sherwin Williams. It looks real
good after several years. He is not a car person -- few oil spills but
the tires never have pulled up the paint. He lives in Phoenix; the tires
are always hot.

You may go into sticker shock when you price the stuff.

The etching beforehand is right on. On new home, you may need to wait a
year until all the alklai leeches out.

Also, after you hose down a painted floor, it is very, very slick. Its a
catch-22 deal -- great for easy clean up and scooting around on a
creeper but it is flat dangerous when you soap it down and hose it out.
Some folks think mixing some sand with the paint to cure the
slipperiness. I would hate to have to creep or drag myself under a car
fighting the sand in the floor.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6