Re: Painting the garage floor

To: boballen@sky.net, TRIFARI@aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting the garage floor
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 08:45:15 -0400 (EDT)
In my earlier post I mention I used a simple oil base concrete paint (Home
Depot) but that hot tires would occassionally lift the paint even though the
floor had been properly cleaned and  etched  before paintng. This is the $40
solution and requires another $12 per recoat (which depends how often you
weld, etc. on it). Some LBC projects are really rough on a floor.

The alternative are more exotic and expensive industrial coatings which are
professionally applied. This is the stuff that is on the floor of airplane
hangers, washdown areas in food plants, etc., etc. There a many types of
materials depending
on what chemical resistance or other characteristics you need. These floors
are in the $5 to $10 per square foot range, so the cost of the average garage
goes from the $40 solution to a $2,400 one. I have had these installed in
several areas in the course  various plant engineering projects over the past
20 years.

Owing to the fact that I often weld, pound (to the point of chipping the
concrete itself), etc. on my garage floor, I think the $40 soultion with the
$12 recoat was the best for me. If anyone cares to go the other route, look
in your yellow pages under floors for Stonehard or General Polymers. They
have these more exotic materials, the crews to install them and an excellent
reputation across the country. They also will have a warranty. Also, these
materials can be made skid resistant with the addition of other gritty
materials, but at the sacrifice of reduced squeege convience.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget