Re: Pondering resurrection of MGB

To: Martin Ouimet <rubicon8@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Pondering resurrection of MGB
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 21:43:22 -0700
Martin Ouimet wrote:
> Can you offer me some tips or suggestions for *important*
> things to look for when I go to it?

Replace ALL the rubber fuel lines. Replace ALL the rubber brake lines.
Imagine driving mom's car, it bursts into flames, you slam on the brakes
only to have the pedal go to the floor.....
Squirt oil through the spark plugs into the cylinders before you turn
it over. Turn it over by hand a few times before the starter.

> One
> thing somebody suggested might have happened is that the fuel could have
> turned into gel after sitting for so long (no, nobody drained the tank, or
> anything else for that matter.) Is this true?

Fuel will go sour. And can thicken up, but that takes a long time.
Eight years is more than enough time for the fuel to go totally bad,
don't use it.
Drain the tank, and start with fresh gas. Where does the old gas go?
Parts cleaner, weed killer, lawn mower gas, some recycle centers will
take it (but not around here- Brevard county Fl.)

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"

P.S. On a side note, oxigenated gas will go sour quicker. Case in point,
a college friend of mine used to ride a moped exclusively, it got
110 miles to the gallon. It was so long between fill ups that his gas
would start to smell sour before he would need new gas in the big 2.5
gallon tank. He switched gas stations, and from oxi fuel, problem solved.