Re: rubber lube

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: rubber lube
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 23:03:20 -0600 (MDT)
>Dennis E. Nelson wrote:
>>
>> I don't know this to be a good suggestion, it's just that I was told a few
>> years ago that brake fluid sprayed on rubber will help preserve it.  This
>> was told to me by a Pakistani auto mechanic I used while posted to Pakistan
>> from 1981-1986.  Comments anyone??
>>

>Not a good idea.  This is a trick used by used car dealers.  From what
>I've been told though, it deteriorates the rubber.  I use Armor All.
>I've never had a problem and it's not expensive if you buy it in bulk.

I've seen the brake brake fluid trick revive old dried out rubber, but I
don't know the long term ramifications. I think this is a last ditch sort
of thing to try when you can't find a new rubber part. I certainly wouldn't
try this on a rubber piece that contacts paint!

I've also heard that silicone (an ingredient of Armor All) is good for rubber,
but I have no idea why. Any one out there have an opinion? Is it true?

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting