[Fwd: HELP!]

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: HELP!]
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 17:46:33 -0400
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 13:29:58 -0400
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP!

Okay everyone, this is probably a obvious problem, but I'll be damned if
I can figure it out.  I have a 77B.  Recently re-installed the motor
after a tranny swap.  Particulars:  Weber DGV, New Lucas Sport Coil, New
Euro-spec 45D dizzy, fitted with Crane E.I. conversion.  Weber and Crane
both fitted to the car prior to the new coil and dizzy, and both had
been performing flawlessly.  Ignition timed @ 15° BTDC @ 900 R.P.M. with
vac advance disconnected.

Driving the car in normal city driving, seems to make good power, pull
well of idle, etc.  Suddenly, the engine coughs, then dies.  Coast to
the side of the road, try starter.  Car fires, but doesn't run.  After
repeated attempts the car starts, and runs.  Seems to be loaded up with
fuel, but clears and car runs well.  Off we go.  5 miles later it
happens again.  I suspected the fuel system.  Fule pump pumping, fuel
filter clear, gas getting to carb.  Get car started again, off we go.
Engine dies again (at speed) and I am able to coast a while in gear and
it restarts.  Happens again, and I noticed that the tach drops to zero
when the engine dies, making me suspect ignition.

What am I missing?  If the car runs out of gas while moving, shouldn't
the tach still read engine R.P.M.?  Any ideas about where to look for
this sudden, yet intermittant problem?  Could the coil be bad?  I
realize the Crane ignition could be at fault, but my history with it
makes me want to look elsewhere.

Regards,

Chris Delling