re: Wits End

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: Wits End
From: kbedford@biggles.uk03.bull.co.uk (Keith Bedford)
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:30:18 +0100 (BST)
Berrie Watson (ADM) wrote:
> pull it down, and thus free the crankshaft to turn.  The big question is,
> now that it has been freed, it is INCREDIBLY hard to turn.  My experience
> is that 1) with no spark plugs in and 2) transmission disengaged - it
> should be fairly easy to turn.  Have I destroyed my crankshaft or
> camshaft?  I have done all work with the engine in the car- and never
> touched the camshaft (and therefore disturbed no timing).

A friend of mine rebuilt an engine which wouldn't rotate - when I asked him
how he'd torqued up all the bolts he said 'one at a time', ie from loose to
full tight. When we loosened everything off and tightened them up gradually
(ie all big-end bolts hand-tight, then 5 lb foot, then 10 lb foot etc) the
engine span fine.

Apologies if this isn't your problem, but just in case...

Cheer,
        Keith
--
  Keith Bedford                         keith.bedford@uk03.bull.co.uk