British Car Week

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: British Car Week
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:46:38 -0500
Tough week here weather wise.  Near record lows most days (near freezing)
and rain of and on.  I got the A out Monday but didn't have time/ weather
until Friday.

Friday was my company's first car show of the year.  It was supposed to be
sunny but cold.  Friday morning was cold and overcast with the radar
showing shower activity to the  west.  I took off with the A top down but
about 1/2 way to work it became obvious that the storm was going to catch
me.  Put the top up and side curtains on and made it to work.  By noon the
weather had cleared somewhat so sidecurtains off for the ride home- was
late so didn't take the time to drop the top.

Sunday the Minnesota MG Group had a rally around Lake Minnetonka.  32
British cars- ,mostly MGB's but including 4 MGA's (all red).  My 11 year
old daughter had agreed to navigate although she wasn't too hot on the idea
at the start.  Looked like rain so most of us put the tops up (I know,
we're wimps).  Got lost three times on the first stage as Lindsay and I
learned how to read the maps and to watch for traps.  Top down for second
and third stages and we didn't get  lost too bad.  By the end Lindsay was
asking when we could do another one!.

The A ran great although, in a break from tradition, I did pack some tools
for the day.  2 screwdrivers, a crescent wrench, 1/2-9/16 wrench, pliers,
spare in a can, and duct tape.  I also had the distinction of being the
first car to loose a part as my tail pipe extension fell off at the
starting line.  Everone had a good laugh at my expense.

Unfortunately, my oil pressure problems are getting worse.  I added a
bottle of STP but the car still looses pressure after freeway driving-
dropping to less then 10 PSI at idle.  Its OK around town but the freeway
must really build up the heat.  I suppose I could drive slower (80
indicated at 4200 RPM)  but it just seems to hum along so nicely at that
speed.

The next event is an autocross June 1.  I think that is enough time to
throw in rod bearings and a rocker shaft.  I am not sure about main
bearings, though.  I don't know if you can replace them without pulling the
engine.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA