BC Week, Oil guns

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BC Week, Oil guns
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:13:06 -0500
One more thought on BC Week.  When I am out driving my A, people point and
wave but most won't walk up and take a look.  I guess they are too used to
Corvettes with motion sensor alarms.  However, on Sunday when we had 30+
LBC's lined up people felt much less intimidated and would drive slowly by
or stop and ask questions.  A guess that they thought that, because it was
a group, they weren't intruding.  Moral of the story?  If you are going to
start a group function, do it in a place that allows easy public access and
you will get others involved.  We were in a strip mall parking lot.

Aron,
When I oil my rack, I use a cheap cartridge grease gun that uses the small
cartridges.  I have saved an empty grease cartridge and, when oiling is
needed, I insert the empty cartridge into the gun and fill it with the
amout of oil I need.  I then pump the leftover grease into one of my used
oil containers (recycling is a good thing) until oil flows freely.  Oil
away.  Don't store the grease gun in this condition because the oil will
run out over time.  I used to get a lot more practice with this method
oiling the trunnions on my Tri**ph.

If you want to buy an actual oil gun, you won't find one at a parts dealer.
 Check a machinist's supply house since they are used to oil the ways on
mills.  I would expect that they would be pricey.  A grease gun designed to
work without a cartridge may work but they went out with bell bottoms if
not before.

Regards,
Bill Eastman