Re: clearcoat paint?

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Subject: Re: clearcoat paint?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:03:40 -0500
Hmmm. No experience, merely opinion. The car makers use clearcoat to
keep
the new vehicle shiny throughout the warranty period. Also, they want to
protect the fairly soft paint the EPA makes them use. So clearcoat gives
a 'new car' appearence for a couple of years.

Boyd Coddington, of considerable Hot Rod fame, was once interviewed and
responded to a question on paint. He said he doesn't use clearcoat on
his cars, given a choice, so that the car can be driven. Stone chips and
such that appear on a car can be easily touched up and resprayed if the
car is lacking clearcoat. With clearcoat, the small respray will sit on
top of the clear coat and the color shift gives pretty poor results.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT & '75TR6 (both needing a respray)