RE: MG Songs and now books.

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: MG Songs and now books.
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 17:35:01 -0400
At 09:31 AM 5/21/97 -0500, A. B. Bonds wrote:
>In <c=US%a=_%p=TCI%l=TCI/HERMES/001E7CBA@brahms.tci.com>, Haynes, Daniel
wrote:
>>I love music and the songs are great, but my first experience with an MG
>>came
>>about because of a Scholastic book bought at school.  When I was an
>>elementary child (during the 60's), I bought and read a book called "MG
>>Racer".  It was about a young teenager who bought and raced an MG TC.
>>There
>>was the crusty old mechanic who helped him learn to race, showed him
>>that the
>>tach was more important than the speedometer, you get the picture.
>>
>Not quite.  It was called "The Red Car", and involved a young feller
>named Hap and the Crusty Old Mechanic (stock character) was Frenchy Le
>Becque (or something like that), a Grand Prix champion who quit racing
>because he had an accident in which someone was killed.
>
>The book extols TC's, tolerates TD's and besmirches TF's.  My car is
>Red, but it's a TD.  I'm not as lucky as Hap....
>
>>I lost the book, but gained a love for the marquee.  If anyone knows
>>where to
>>find that title or has also read the book, l'd love to chat about it.
>>
>I have a copy of it, but hold it firmly and reread it every few years
>for inspiration....  I can get the author's name, it was a Scholastic
>Book Club publication, copyright about 1960, obviously no ISBN.
>
>There are also the Henry Gregor Felsen books.  Not British iron, but
>filled with hotrods and teenagers with raging hormones.
>
>       Driving is better than reading, but only just   A. B. Bonds

I also treasure this book. It is a collector item and can cost big bucks.
The New England MGT Register invited the author as a guest a few years back
to a GOF. The guy was great. ( One reason to attend GOF's put on by the
Register; I 've had a ride in Old Number One at a Register GOF; end
commercial) Anyway, Ron Embling at Britbooks gets a copy once in a while,
ask him to find a copy for you.

Mike