Re: clearcoat paint?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: clearcoat paint?
From: ken.roach@sk.sympatico.ca (Ken Roach)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 05:31:07 GMT
On Wed, 21 May 1997 08:33:13 -0400, you wrote:

>I am starting to plan getting my Midget painted, and of course, there
>are several ways to go (just to make sure it isn't an easy decision!).
>I was thinking about using the modern method of basecoat/clearcoat, but
>don't know how that would look, or if it was a good idea.  Has anybody
>ever done this to an LBC?  I would appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks!
>
>adrian

        I used Dupont's Chromabase system to paint my 'B.  It has a
high build clear coat that only requires two coats.  I used three as I
planned on color sanding and buffing for a more lacquer like finish.
Base-clear paints have come a long way in the last few years and offer
more durability than one stage systems.  Another benefit for the do-it
yourselvers is that the color is very easy to spray and relatively
non-toxic. =20
        Early base-clear systems had a very plastic quality which
looks out of place on older cars.  Newer paints look much better,
especially when buffed.  It is much more difficult to sand and buff
than lacquer, however.
        Touching up base-clear can be done.  If the chip is small, dab
the color into the chip until it covers.  When it is dry mix up some
clear with hardener (Toxic Stuff........Use a Mask!) and build up the
surface until it is slightly proud of the surrounding paint.  When it
has cured it can be sanded with 1500 grit paper and then buffed.  If
the repair is larger, the area can be spot painted with color but the
whole panel must be clear coated.

Ken Roach
'74 B