Re: Transmission shaft

To: Larry Pitts <fuzzy@castles.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission shaft
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 23:03:53 -0500
Larry Pitts wrote:

> ooooooook,
>         Well my OD transmisson didn't garner the interest that the CAT Thread
>did
> so let me try another. The gear shift lever is held into the transmission
> by 4 shouldered bolts with spring washers. I would make the assumption that
> this allows it to "float" for wear and noise reasons. Didn't see a Moss
> listing but VB wants $3.50 or so for the shouldered bolt. Is there any
> major adverse affect using standard bolts with lock washers or any
> suggested substitutes ??

Larry -
        The shouldered bolts also use a spring, not spring lock washer, to
press on the hold down plate.  You tighten the bolts securely, but the
springs fit around the shoulders.  This lets the plate float a bit,
which you wouldn't get with the lock washers.  Using lock washers may
press the hold down plate too tightly on the ball on the lever, making
the shifting stiff.

YMMV

--
Keep on keepin' on!