Junkyard Adventures-MGA, MGB's, Midgets- Long

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Junkyard Adventures-MGA, MGB's, Midgets- Long
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:03:21 -0700
Found some interesting things at the local east central Florida
junkyards......

Auto Salvage Unlimited (Melbourne)-
I called them and they said they had a MG, but were not sure if it was
a B or a Midget, "come look" they said.
Well, I came and looked, and guess what, it was a MGA!!
Totally rusted body, good trunk lid and bonnet (aluminimum, frames ok
 too), fairly complete engine (not twin cam!), stripped interior but
still had the steering wheel, dash, and seat frames. Steel wheels with
one origional hubcap. I might return for the hubcap and steering wheel
for souvenirs....
Next door (zoning you know) was a body shop with some cars for sale out
front which included a MGBGT. This GT had more bondo on it than any car
I've ever seen, at least 12 square inches per panel. The rocker panels
were all bondo. They wanted $3,500 for it, what a joke. Worth about
$200 in my book.

Classic Auto Salvage (Melbourne)-
Don't let the name fool you, a regular modern junkyard that has a few
classics. They had two Midgets and three MGB's. I got a good deal on
the Midget parts I needed, for a total of $212.00 I got;
4 Wheels- the early Rostyle type, Moss# 455-455
1 Transmission- Supposedly rebuilt, it was very clean and had a new
                rubber mount, but I'll open it up and check any way.
2 steering racks- later type
1 sway bar
2 Headlight trim rings

I had called a few mail order junkyards, the wheels alone would have
cost $200.
One of the Midgets had a really nice roll bar welded in, perfect welds,
I was impressed. Ironicly the other Midget had rolled, even the steering
wheel was dented, must of been a big accident.
They had a really nice MGB body shell too. It looked like the PO had
stripped the car for restoration. All the body work was done and it
was painted a nice basic green, no interior, drive train, or trim.
It had really nice wire wheels too, they could have been new (&painted).
The yard guy wanted $100 for all five wire wheels including hubs, sounds
like a great deal to me. I might go back and get those too (to trade or
sell or.....)

Sunrise Auto Salvage (Fort Lauderdale)-
One of the best junkyards in Florida. They specialize in euro sport cars
and sporty sedans. They always have LBC's plus a lot of Alfa's, Fiats,
VW, and a few Porsches. Last time I was there they had a mangled Porsche
928, another big accident victim. They also have a giant pile of wheels,
mostly alloy, what ever you want they probably have a wheel for it.
Last time I was there (for my X1/9- the car I regret selling the most)
they had some giant Lamborghini wheels, impressive. I didn't get there
for this junkyard frenzy, as I found all my parts elsewhere, but I
thought that I would mention it with the rest. It's worth the trip if
you're in Florida, but call first as they have a lot of turn over and
seem to make up their hours on a day to day basis.

With all the above junkyards, prices are negotiable, and tend to
fluctuate (dependant on how much they have been drinking that day ;o)).
I find you always get a better deal when you are there in person.

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"