Re: Gas in the charcoal canister

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Gas in the charcoal canister
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 97 19:15:35 -0400
>I hooked up a hose and funnel arrangement to get fresh gas to the carbs
>but apparently the needle and seat assembly wasn't hold back the gas very
>well.  Result: fuel flowing through the vapor tube into the charcoal
>canister.  Does the whole canister to be replaced?

John,

No, the whole canister does not need to be replaced.  It will not work
though.  For it to work again you will have to remove the contaminated
charcoal and replace it with some clean stock.  You can use the type
found in pet supply stores.  If it is very dusty you will want to clean
it first, (as the package will probably recommend for it's intended use).
 To do this just rinse in in cold water while sifting through it with
your fingers till the water stays relatively clear.  Drain it and then
spread it out on some cookie sheets in the sun and let it dry thoroughly.
 Then all you have to do is put it into your original housing.

I almost forgot.  The hardest step will be in trying to get the canister
open.  I have not tried it on a MG, but most domestics are chemically
wielded shut.  In this case if you still want to give it a go you can
carefully make a clean and even cut around the top of the housing and
then reseal it with RTV or plastic epoxy.

Good luck,

John Knight                                 '73 MGB (under restoration)

     "If uniqueness makes us who we are, why be like everyone else?"