oil consumption

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: oil consumption
From: John77577@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 08:40:50 -0400 (EDT)
Now that I have my MGB out and running, everything is great except for 1
thing.  It's using about a quart of oil every 200 miles,
I checked the plugs, burning somewhat brown on the electrodes, checked
compression, cylinders 1 and 2 , 160lbs, 3 and 4, 155.

Is it possible a faulty PCV? the engine is an 18GB with only the PCV as
emission controll.  It sucks the vapors out of the crank case and sends it
into the exhaust.
Yesterday I took the vented oil filler cap off while engine was ideling, sped
up noticably maybe 500 rpms.

It does leak some oil, but really just a few drips at a time. I only notice
smoke when it first starts cold after that it goes away.

any sugestions would be a help

John77577@aol.com