Re: oil consumption

To: John77577@aol.com
Subject: Re: oil consumption
From: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 08:10:27 -0700
John77577@aol.com wrote:

> Now that I have my MGB out and running, everything is great except for 1
> thing.  It's using about a quart of oil every 200 miles,
> I checked the plugs, burning somewhat brown on the electrodes, checked
> compression, cylinders 1 and 2 , 160lbs, 3 and 4, 155.

John, electrodes should be white to tan. Brown sounds like oil fouling.

> Is it possible a faulty PCV? the engine is an 18GB with only the PCV as
> emission controll.  It sucks the vapors out of the crank case and sends it
>into the *exhaust*.

You mean the intake. Don't worry. I say alternator when I mean door :).

> It does leak some oil, but really just a few drips at a time. I only notice
> smoke when it first starts cold after that it goes away.

This sounds like classic valve guide leakage. The list members can offer
the p/n's for good valve guide seals. These folks are so helpful!

God Bless,
-Vince
San Antonio