Need hardened valve seats?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Need hardened valve seats?
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 09:48:09 -0400 (EDT)
I'm about ready to pull off the head on my '72 B.  The engine has gone a
little over 100k and hasn't run (except for a test) in the past 7 years.
My guess is that it spent most of its life drinking leaded fuel.  I expect
everything to be in good shape, but should I go ahead and get hardened
seats installed?  If so, would I need to replace intake valves as well?  I
don't plan to race the engine or anything, just has something that would
work dependably on unleaded for the next 40,000 miles (I don't plan a
complete rebuild at this point.

If this has been a recent thread, my apologies to the list.

John Middlesworth