Re: Eng - xmission install

To: fuzzy@castles.com
Subject: Re: Eng - xmission install
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:26:09 EDT
Larry-                                                  A.  Yes,
the shouldered bolts and springs are necessary.  They can be tightened
down to the shoulder but the spring will allow a little "slop" in the
system.  If you used regular bolts you will tighten them too much or,
alternatively, they will back themselves out as they are not snug.  I
tried the Loctite method to avoid the shouldered bolts and springs but it
did not work.
        B.  All I can say is that the engine will go in and out w/ less
aggravation each time.  Maybe you are trying too hard.  It takes many
adjustments of whatever engine sling you are using.  In a little and
adjust the angle.  In a little and adjust the angle, and so on.  (Ignore
the responses from the perverts).  If it takes most of the morning to do
w/out bending something, then OK.  The next time you put it in, and you
will, it will be easier.
C.  I have found it easier to LOOSELY assemble the transmission mounts to
the rear cross member and then install the cross member to the frame.  An
appropriately sized center punch, or drift, will help here.  Make sure
that you have ALL of the hardware started and then tighten it up starting
w/ the trans mounts and finally the cross member.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com