Re: Them little drum brake screws

To: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: Them little drum brake screws
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:38:32 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Aron Travis!!

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Aron Travis wrote:

> I was inspecting the rear brakes on my '72 Midget today.........
> Why are there two screws also holding the drum on?

You aren't going to believe me, but they were installed so that the
brake drums would stay in place for the factory assembly line.

> or to put it another way, what is the design purpose of these screws?

NA cars use those funny little thin flat clippy things... MUCH cheaper,
and no drum maching costs for the counter sunk holes in the drum.

> Were not the lug nuts good enough to hold the drum on like most other
> designs?

When the axle assembly was installed on the line, the wheels weren't!!
They were put on later, and by that time, the drums would've fallen off.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who throws those clippy things away on the first
                      brake job/inspection on a NA vehicle)