Re: GT to Roadster Wiper Motor Mod's

To: hershfld@email.unc.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT to Roadster Wiper Motor Mod's
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 22:13:31 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-26 15:44:36 EDT, hershfld@email.unc.edu (Joanne
Hershfield/Jim Fink) writes:

<< I transplanted a Wiper Motor from my 73 MGB/GT to my '69B and had to
 change the gear deal inside to make the blades stop on the left side
 instead of the right as the GT does.... This worked by if I recall
 correctly, (it was several years ago) by changing a little pin or
 something on the gear....

 Now the question is, are my blades an inch too long, or is there another
 way to adjust the full travel of the blades, they are going too far over
 and they are goughing the rubber seal around the windsheild, the height of
 the sweep is good, about 3/4" from the top of the windshield and they stop
 just right, on the bottom seal, they just go over too far, the end of the
 blade goes off the windscreen about an inch....

 anyone else dealt with an adjustment like this on the wiper motor....

Jim,

I just replaced my wiper motor this weekend, $125, thank you very much. I
suspect that the arc sweeped by the wipers of a GT is different than a B.
This would be because the GT windshield is taller than a B. The wiper gear on
my B had 105 degrees stamped on it. The new unit came without the gear and I
had to reuse the old one. You'd think for the amount of money they wanted, it
would be complete.

You can adjust where the sweep starts by where by how you put the wiper arms
on the wheel box shafts. What you can't adjust this way the the total amount
of travel. If you can't get the adjustment to work properly, you may have to
get a different wiper gear.

Look in your VB catalog and notice there are two wiper gears listed. 0-438
for a GT and 0-439 for a B. I'll bet the one for the GT sweeps a greater arc
than 105 degrees. If you give VB a call may they can confirm this by looking
for what's stamped on the two different gears.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget