Re: MGB Reliability

To: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Reliability
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 23:28:44 -0600

>       Am I really a heretic?  Am I undeserving of MGB ownership?  I just
>feel that unless someone is going to be happy doing the extra work
>involved in maintaining a 'B', they'd probably be better off with a
>Miata.
>Scott Gardner
>gardner@lwcomm.com
>www.lwcomm.com/~gardner

Not a heretic.  You are correct sir (as Ed McMahon(sp?) would say). Miata is
a wonderful car for those with the open car bug, but without the mechanical
skills.  MGB's, however are very reliable given the era they were designed
in.  Their key problem is over-use/excessive use, and on the newer cars,
there are quite a few electrical/emmissions things that give trouble.  The
older cars - specifically from 62 to 67 are about as solid as a rock.  Once
one of these is well sorted out, they only require checking the carb oil,
greasing zerks, and changing oil and filters.  They really were more
reliable than most U.S. cars made at the time.  I'd even say they compare to
today's cars, but they will not have the same longevity.  Cars made now last
200,000+ miles, while an MGB engine is expected to need a rebuild at about
100.000.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB