Re: Oil Pressure (Filter Study)

To: Paul D Kile <KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure (Filter Study)
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 15:29:07 -0500
So the drainback valve ain't too high tech in a Fram filter. If the oil
filter hangs down, it don't matter. The oil ain't gonna *drain up* when
you shut off the motor.

And what would the drainback valve have to do with causing a *decrease*
in oil pressure.

Sorry to be so obtuse. The C/GT uses that cursed, upright, felt element.
If there is supposed to be drainback valve in there I haven't found one.
Everytime it fires off I have to grit my teeth through the death rattle
waiting for  oil to fill that damn canister back up. This is the same as
the B's that use that cartridge element.

The TR6 has an 'improved' accessory that implements a screw-on oil
filter. But it is so small you couldn't fit a tennis ball inside _and_
it is still a real pain to remove.

So, again, what is the theory that an oil filter would cause the
indicated oil pressure to drop? And why is that a bad thing? I would
think you would get excited if an oil filter caused oil pressure to
*increase*!

If you replace the oil filter with a metal plate with a pin-hole in it,
oil pressure would really go up. Would that then, by defiition, be the
perfect filter?

Obstinately puzzled,

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6