Re: MG reliability

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG reliability
From: Ann Snyder <snydera@mis.finchcms.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:27:57 -0500
        You guys are as bad as Jim Mateja, the Chicago Tribune auto writer
who says that the Miata is everything that British sports cars were supposed
to be.  What I wrote to him, and to this list before, is that our 72 GT has
gotten us to work and home again when the high for the day was -13 degrees
F.  We depend totally on MGs for transportation (aside from our bicycles or
the occasional rail or air trip).  As well as my daily commute, we drive 45
miles or more to all our club's activities, and take several road trips each
year.  The engine is pretty-much unmodified: we did turn the coil around and
have a small fuel pump under the bonnet that can be hooked up if needed, but
we use the twin HIFs, which generally get adjusted only when we go over the
car in the spring and the fall- to accommodate seasonal fuel changes.  Every
spring we follow John Twist's recommended inspection, lubrication, and
tune-up list.  If anyone wants a reliable MG, his basic course is great -
even for those of you who have worked on your cars for years.  Yes, we all
enjoy the therapeutic benefits of working on the cars, but not for the
amount of time we spend driving them.  If that is the case, there are
probably some parts that need to be rebuilt or replaced.
        Admittedly, there were certain glitches- was it the 77 B that had
the weird electrical problems?  But not all MGs can be judged on the basis
of that.  And even the Lucas electrics often get a bad rap: some of the
people who complain the most about Lucas have themselves never learned how
to make a decent solder joint - the source of their problems is twisted wire
and electrical tape.  What cars are made today that one can expect to rely
on in 25 years?  They won't support the computer systems that long!
        Please pardon the ranting.  This is my pet peeve.

Ann
  '72 B GT
  '71 B roadster
  '2 many project cars to mention