Re: Computers in Cars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Computers in Cars
From: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 23:07:28 -0700
I think the reason we (LBCers)badmouth the modern car with it's computer
control is because we are inherently tinkerers(sp?)The computers
dehumanize the cars the modern mechanic is just a parts changer and
without the diagnostic equiptment he would be lost We on the other hand
think of our cars as living,breathing beings who we have a certain bond
with ( How many of you have named their car?) I bet you don't name your
other newer car.So we don't want some hunk of silicone telling our cars
how to run WE want to adjust it so it's purring just right and isn't
that a sense of pride when YOU get it right?Damn right it is!! We are
throwbacks who still remember when you were responsible for getting your
car to work and never thoght about taking it to a mechanic,today we feel
threatened by this THEY are taking a part of our youth away with all
this smog crap computer crap seat belt laws etc etc ad nauseum.We all
wish we could return to those golden days when a kid could go buy a $50
car bang it together and go off on an adventure without having to worry
about insurance, EPA,an engine you could actually identify the
components....Oh well as long as we can have our old LBCs we will have
some happiness...Pat