Computers in Cars

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Computers in Cars
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 18:54:36 -0400
Guys, can we contain the modern car bashing?

  It's just a fact that people who bash computers in modern
cars don't understand them. If you spend a bit of time
learning how they work, they can be wonderful. Just like you
once had to spend time learning how points and vacuum
systems worked, why do you self impose a limit on
how much you want to learn in life?

  When your LBC breaks down, sure, you can find the
problem, but you know where to look. Modern systems
are no different, give the average person an LBC
with the fuel pump points sticking together and they
will cuss and complain the same as if they have
a modern car fail because of an ECU fault (WHICH
IS *VERY* RARE).

  Computers will even tell you what's wrong. If my
LBC stutters on power, is it carbs? Fuel lines? Ignition?
Plugs? Where do I plug in my code reader so the car
can tell me what's wrong? I can solve the problem
fairly quickly due to experience, but that's no
credit to the car.

  It's just ridiculous. Somebody will post something
like "My LBC broke down. Turned out to be the
diaphragm in the carbeuretor. Fixed it, and everything
is just peachy now, boy I love these cars!".

  ...then somebody else will post "My Volvo broke
down, turned out to be a &^*& fuel injector clogged,
how can anyone live with this *&&(*) crap. In my
day we had horses and all you needed was hay and you
were never stranded... they are ramming this
computer crap down our throats...".

  It's a double standard, and it's embarrassing.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada