Removing Gearbox Extension

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Removing Gearbox Extension
From: mgb1966@juno.com (David R Macedonia)
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 18:10:12 -0400
To all,

I'm having difficulty removing the rear extension from my 1966 3-synchro
gearbox. Both my Haynes and Bentley shop manuals say that it should just
pull away after the front selector lever has been moved out of the way.
Suffice it to say, mine doesn't. (Yes, I removed the flange!)

Should the rear bearing stay in the extension or should it stay on the
tail shaft? Is it normally a tight fit between the tail shaft and the
inner race of the bearing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All I wanted to do was replace
all the gaskets and oil seals (I'm doing a "frame-up" restoration) and
the gasket between the extension and the gearbox needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance,

David Macedonia [mgb1966@juno.com]
1966 Mark I  MGB